Saturday 30 June 2007

Tuborg at the Sidewalk Express

I was just writing an e-mail to Cassie when, all of a sudden, a frazzled, blonde kid approached me with a slab of Tuborg and started rambling to me in Danish. Confused, I told him quite categorically that I spoke only English. (This is a lie, but I doubt I wanted to have this conversation with him in French.) He then told me that for DKKR10 - around AUD2.40 - I could have a can of Tuborg, my favourite of all New Year's Eve beers, in an Internet café in the middle of the central København H train station. Surprisingly, I declined.

I got in at 7am, and it is now 2.52pm. At first I was simply amazed, stunned that I was finally walking the streets of Europe. Now - well, now I'm not entirely sure why I'm here. Hell, I've got plenty of photos. I've also been scammed twice - once when I found out that this Internet place is nowhere near as good as the one five minutes away, which will let me upload all of my photos tomorrow, and once when I realised that the phone card I bought to call home was, despite the protestations of the 7/11 employee who served me, nowhere near as good as the card I found in the Afghan Market and would have bought had they accepted my Visa card.

Tomorrow, I will be far less naive.

Tomorrow, I might have enough money to drink Tuborg at the train station.

Tomorrow, you will see my photos. Because I will go to the better Internet café.

Tomorrow, I will be able to talk to Australia for more than 31 minutes having spent DKKR100, because I will return to the Afghan Market with paper money.

Tomorrow, I will not get locked in to the public library. Because I won't blindly walk in while someone official-looking walks out, then realise that he was only allowed in because he was official, and now the doors won't open behind me. The public library is in fact a Parliamentary Library on Kierkegaardsstraede, in a Ministerial building. It - the building, including the library - is closed on weekends. Today is Saturday. When I found myself locked in, I pressed the intercom button, and heard the phone ringing in what I assume to be the secretary's office beside me, which was hauntingly unoccupied.



Figure 1: The Danish Public Library


If I had known enough Danish, I would have been able to read the sign which told me to unscrew the plastic cap and push the red button to exit.

Instead, my arm was shaking as I blindly unscrewed the plastic cap and, not knowing whether it would sound a fire alarm or cause a group of killer ninjas to spring forth from the empty binder collections, pushed the red button.

The doors opened, and I was free.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think this could be the start of an exciting new phenomenon. You could get yourself trapped in one public library in every city you travel to. It shouldn't be too hard to free yourself either. Modern libraries are full of escapist literature.

Hen.

Ben said...

The only problem was the library was closed. It's a purely Møndag to Vordag experience.

Steve Williams said...

you are clown