Thursday 9 August 2007

But here we sit, debating math.

It is 12.15am. I am standing in the corner of the lobby of the Teaterhotellet, my hotel in Malmö. I have just come back from the second time Low has changed my life.

Eschewing previous Scandinavian form, this time there was a support band. It came in the form of all-girl quartet Audrey, who were utterly amazing, and whose CD is now safely located in my bag. I sincerely hope Australia discovers them soon, even if just to confuse all those people who will immediately think they are in fact The Audreys, and expect violins and rollicking folk music instead of cellos and deep shoegazing goodness.

However, it was Low who changed my life. Again. Little Argument With Myself, the clear highlight, was spellbinding. I was entranced, again, by the guitar blowout of Breaker. And when Alan Sparhawk called out to the crowd for any other songs we might want them to play, he ignored the impassioned cries for Lullabye, and instead played my lone front-row request of Sunflowers.

He also asked whether we had any problems they could solve. In true Swedish fashion, the problem was political. Who should we vote for out of the democrats for the next US election?

Alan and Mimi, perplexed, both questioned why a Swede would ask such a question. But then from the back came a subsequent question so brilliant, and so cutting, I could but wish I had been its genial source.

What about Mitt Romney?

For the uninitiated, Mitt Romney is one of the leading Republican candidates for the 2008 election. He is also a mormon. Alan Sparhawk and Mimi Parker are full-time, travelling musicians, whose songs often carry peaceful, anti-war overtones. They are, also, mormons.

Sparhawk's cryptic response: 'I don't think the world can trust us.'

No comments: