Thursday 9 August 2007

Malmö

Malmö is so much nicer than Stockholm.

No, seriously.

I think I might go and do a trip around Europe visiting only the non-capital cities. Stockholm was stuffy, its library was arse, its old town was near-satirical, and its food was rather crap. In contrast, Malmö is small, but its library is Oslo-esque in its brilliance (without the scores of screaming children). Its food is excellent: the little square (lilla torg) is lively even when midnight approaches, and today I have found a vegan café lunch, and one of those Chinese places that sells soy versions of meat dishes (which will be tonight's dinner). Everything is walking distance, including a beach for those so inclined. Alright, so it's all still at unfortunate Sweden prices. But being an Adelaide boy, it's a nice change to be somewhere modern, but still delightfully small.

So to the guy at the Deerhoof gig who laughed when I said I would be returning to Sweden, to visit Malmö, I say this: Malmö is awesome, and you are not.

No comments: