Wednesday 1 August 2007

Fourteen Days.

Congratulations, everyone. We have gotten through the month of July, and as our reward we are all being presented with the month of August. This means, among many things, that I have now been out of Australia for an entire month. It actually feels like about four years.

Thanks to the wonderful people at Singapore Airlines, the earliest flight for which I can be confirmed departs on the 14th of August. This is, so my totally amazing mathematics has deduced, fourteen days from now. Exactly what my spotty body will be doing for fourteen days is somewhat beyond me, but it will be staying here for a while, and then happening upon Sweden where it will see Low. It might then end up in Berlin for a while, before catching a plane from Frankfurt.

I have also, apparently, been 'waitlisted' for a flight on Friday.

Incidentally, the area just south of the München Hauptbahnhof (train station) is completely comprised of only the following things: hotels (mine included), sex shops (many), Internet and Discount Call Centers, and döner kebap shops. Exactly how a döner kebap differs from any other kind of kebap I have yet to establish, however it does show that I am located in the heart of the Turkish quarter of München. Germany is quite well known for its large Turkish immigrant population, and last night I decided I would dine on its ethnocultural specialties. This didn't work out as best it could.

For starters, what I really wanted was something resembling Koshari from the Jerusalem Shishkebab House back home. This is basically lentils and rice, with a garnish of cucumber and yoghurt. Instead, every single kebap shop offers little more than a bunch of vegetables and some rice. (When it doesn't involve meat grilled four ways, and then fried, and then grilled again. In Turkish gravy.) Also, all of the restaurants have the same menu, and many even have the same pictures. It's like I stepped into an ethnocultural twilight zone featuring streets lined with Turkish McDonalds'.

I eventually settled at a restaurant where the waitress and I couldn't communicate in each other's languages, but settled on the universal language of romance. I should call this French, because it was one of the most completely unromantic conversations I've ever had. It did involve me being told where to put my tray, and being served, so I could then pay. My rice was littered with lentils, but my 'vegetables' were really grilled eggplant in some kind of gravy, slopped on the side of the plate by a surly Turkish guy with a six o'clock shadow.

I then asked for Türkisherkaffee, hoping to experience Turkish Coffee made by real Turkish people! I was actually hoping for a recreation of the singular glory of Jerusalem Coffee from the Shishkebab House. Erica tells me this singular glory is called 'cardamom', but I like to think of it as singular glory nonetheless. Instead, my Turkish Coffee was a ridiculously thick caffeinated substance with seemingly no added spice at all.

And then I walked home. Fourteen days to go.

2 comments:

littlefaeriegirl said...

oh ben

i resisted commenting earlier because my thoughts were mostly filled with 'but you're supposed to go see tom and tell him to love me!' but they were also along the lines of (in no particular order)
1. are you sure this is a good idea
2. i know you're sick, but you will get better. its not like you're just at work and are coming home for the afternoon, its a long way and a big decision
3. i know you miss erica, and she you, but she'll be there when you get back
4. its the world, man! see it!
5. yes, i know you've made the plans for next year, but will you keep them?
6. if you do keep them, can they be about the same time as my plans? cos then we can hang out all together
7. yes, i am going. well, thats the plan at the moment. unless i find someone in adelaide who steals my heart away
8. which, as you can see, has lead me back to me and therefore, is a good place to stop

but i dont want you to be sick, and i dont want you to be sad

so you'll get big hugs when you come home
xx

Ben said...

Oh Carly, I will respond to each in turn:

1. Yes, I am totally sure.
2. I know what you mean, but there is a difference travelling now, after being sick. The difference is in accommodation. I might be feeling better now (and I am), but I still look like a freak, I'm still more susceptible to illness than I was, and I don't want to be sharing dormitories. Getting single rooms with ensuites is costing me around 50EUR per night, which I can't sustain forever.
3. I completely miss Erica, and I've missed far too much of her already.
4. I will have already seen 10 countries by the time I get home. I'm only missing Switzerland, Ireland and the UK from my original plan.
5. Hell, yes. If nothing else, I'm going back to Krakow to see Slavek.
6. September next year? Be there.
7. If you find someone in Adelaide to steal your heart away, bring him with you.

I'm not so sick now, and not so sad. But I've got a lot planned for the next fortnight, and another two weeks is quite long enough!