Saturday 7 July 2007

Money.

So I have this job.  It's only a job sometimes, but the most exciting job I've ever had.  I get called up and told that there's plenty of work on, and get told that there will be a six week plan made, and that will possibly involve three days a week's work for six weeks.  Then, after working there for a week and a half and finishing the project, I ask what is happening the week after and beyond.  I get told that there will be a meeting about it, but it will probably be one or maybe two days work a week.  Then the scheduled meeting gets cancelled, because it's "not ready to be talked about yet", and moved to the next week.  The meeting will happen next week, and hopefully a definite plan will be made.  And hopefully for three days work a week.

This job really is the best job I've ever had.  If the work is not substantial enough, however, I will have to tell them I can't work for them at all, and go back to full time temp work.

I currently have a bank balance of $17.45, an overdue car registration bill, as well as an obligation to send a cheque of $340 to pay for a minor car accident I had recently in which I knocked someone's side mirror off while trying to find my way to Craigieburn.

So I think I will have to say no to building puppets for the time being, and go back to answering phones and opening mail to try and save some money.

Yes, this is completely a rant, but today I feel slightly shit about things.  I had to turn down a dinner invitation with friends tonight because I can't afford to eat out, and my sister hasn't answered her phone in two days, nor returned my phone calls.

Plus I spent today in Sticky, a zine store in Melbourne, making badges for the media organisation I volunteer for, wishing I were able to be creative and do things like make zines without having to worry about all this money stuff.

I really think I'm going to have to go back to answering phones.  It pays better than building giant puppets, and I can spend most of my day doing nothing other than picking up the phone occasionally and then browsing the internet for hours.

2 comments:

AJ said...

Hey Erica,

My first comment at Neither Blonde Nor Nordic...

Well, I am not Nordic, but my hair is kind of blonde-ish...

Erica, please try to not get too down about the money stuff. Hopefully soon you'll find the perfect creative job and everything will come together! I am hopeful!!! See you soon, Erica.

(Hi, Ben!)
AJ x

Birdie said...

AJ, thanks for the comment!

I'm feeling much better today about money stuff, as I've now found myself a bit more direction.

I hope you are enjoying this blog, which is mostly Ben's, and that your own job is going swimmingly.

We shall catch up very soon, I hope.

Erica.