Wednesday 11 July 2007

Thanking You For Advice.

In contrast to the itself contradictory advice this blog has offered me over the past few days, I have absolutely decided to cut short my trip. There are many reasons, and not all are reasonable; but there is one which is as important as it is, surprisingly, not at all soppy.

For two years now I have been actually earning enough to live on, and instead of living I have been storing my earnings away in order to see Europe. My ideal European adventure has pressed pause on everything else I have. That's all for good reason, but right now I'm not just missing Australia. I'm looking forward to all the potential, now that I won't have to use every effort I can muster to foist myself across the oceans.

I'm still seeing amazing things (you'll be seeing them too, when I have access to a computer which will upload my pictures), and I actually have more towns on my itinerary now than I did when I was planning my adventure back home. I'm not missing out on any of Europe; I'm just spending fewer days in each place. Which suits me fine, because I have (to my surprise, actually) found that tourist life is quite repetitive when the scenery doesn't change.

So it looks like I'll be heading home some time in early October. From now until then, I will have seen another dozen cities, at least five bands, and various assorted attractions and disgustions. Then I can come back, and do all the things that have eluded me while I was wedged between life and journeying: move out of my parents' house, release the seven-track EP my band completed days before my departure, actually do some serious work on that whole thesis thing with which I'm supposed to be making a name for myself. When I return, I can start my new life.

More than being in Europe alone, that is the most exciting thing I have, and I'm looking forward to it far more than any of the cities I am yet to visit.

I'll be quiet for a couple of days, but my next post will be coming to you from behind the iron curtain.

No comments: