Wednesday 11 July 2007

Tourist Traps In Stockholm.

I can describe the Stockholm Arkitekturmuseet in approximately one word: crappety-crap.

Skansen, on the other hand, is something else. In fact, it is quite a number of somethings-else: a museum, an amusement park, a zoo, a fun-fair, and a repository for a series of old, discarded buildings that, rather than be demolished, have been removed and restored on an island-set permanent history excursion. On Skansen, you can walk into an 18th century manor and a 17th century cathedral, replete with university students in period costume employeed to detail the history of the parodied building you have just entered. I was also able to take photos of (it's, it's... it's) a bison, and of a series of reindeer which, after their novelty value has worn out, may well appear on a menu at one of the expensive restaurants in Gamla Stan.



These Swedish people love preparing and eating Santa's preferred form of transport.

Stockholm is an archipelago, a series of islands connected by bridges which makes getting around rather challenging. My hostel is on the island of Södermalm, and to get to Skansen I had to walk through the island of Gamla Stan (the quite scenic, and equally parodied old town), Centrum (the city centre) and Djurgärden. Consequently, I walked about 10 kilometres today, and further to that, my feet hurt.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I must take issue with the claim that crappety-crap is anything even approximating one word. It's two words, one of which is not actually a word. A better description would be one word and one piece of drivel mushed into a nightmarish hybrid that has no place on this earth.

Hurting feet is what travel is all about. After I left Sydney I still had the gaping blister-hole to remind me of the fun I'd had.

Hen.